Re: [squid-users] NTLM Errorpage

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:31:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Tom Fischer wrote:

> Our Errorpage is about 30kbyte, and they is send by every object twice
> (NTLM sheme).The icap-filter close the keep-alive connections every
> time, this is probable how it works?! This makes a lot of traffic. I
> want to change this page to a http redirect(meta refresh), but not for
> the other authentication like ip because this look ugly when the page is
> reloaded. For the NTLM users we have to accept it.

ip is not an authentication scheme.. NTLM Basic and Digest are the
authentication schemes available in Squid.

It is true that NTLM (due to it's poor design) causes very many "authentication
required" messages to be sent to the client. And yes, it would also make sense
to introduce a different "authentication not yet complete" message for the
interim messages while the client and Squid is negotiating, just as it would
make sense to introduce an "authentication failed" message. Both of these
requires coding to implement the feature in Squid.

ICAP as such does not need to force connections to close, but it is possible
that either the ICAP patch to Squid your your ICAP server is causing this.