[squid-users] 3 questions about using squid as areverse proxy

From: Culley Harrelson <harrelson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:59:40 -0700

Hi,

I am evaluating squid for use as a reverse proxy. I have spent a few
hours reading documentation and I think I am ready to ask some
questions:

1. I read that squid will normally cache based on the relevant http
cache headers. Is it possible to force a cgi script to be cached if
it doesn't have these headers? i.e. if uri matches regex cache it no
matter what.
2. We are doing basic authentication with the apache module
mod_auth_pgsql. This authentication against postgresql is resulting
in a lot of database activity. I read somewhere that squid will cache
authentication credentials. Does this work in reverse proxy mode?
3. In a very old post
(http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/199904/0174.html)
I read:

"Squid is mainly a HTTP proxy server. The accelerator mode is a bonus,
but I would not say that Squid is a very good or even fast HTTP server
accelerator. "

Has this changed since 1999? If not what are the other more robust
reverse proxy servers out there?

Thanks in advanced for any feedback!

culley