AW: [squid-users] 3 questions about using squid as areverse proxy

From: Neise, Volker <Volker.Neise@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:19:28 +0200

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Culley Harrelson wrote:
>
> > 1. I read that squid will normally cache based on the relevant http
> > cache headers. Is it possible to force a cgi script to be cached if
> > it doesn't have these headers? i.e. if uri matches regex
> cache it no
> > matter what.
>
> You can use the refresh_pattern directive to tweak the level
> of caching,
> and even override certain HTTP rules if you like.

Keep in mind to disable the no_cache directive.

Another issue: You can also use Apache to add headers (mod_expires). Thus, the page will not only be cached by squid, but also by the client browser.

> > 3. In a very old post
> >
> (http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/199904/0174.html)
> > I read:
> >
> > "Squid is mainly a HTTP proxy server. The accelerator mode
> is a bonus,
> > but I would not say that Squid is a very good or even fast
> HTTP server
> > accelerator. "
>
> Sounds like me..
>
> > Has this changed since 1999?
>
> Not really no.
>
> > If not what are the other more robust reverse proxy servers
> out there?
>
> Squid is very robust, and does a good job of it. It is just
> not lightingly
> fast and for plain file delivery most modern webservers can
> outperform
> Squid.
>
> But if your server is not just delivering plain files or slow due to
> having heavy database operations or other things using a
> reverse proxy
> such as Squid can improve the situation significantly, and
> even more so if
> the resulting content is cacheable.

I use squid as a front-end server in httpd-accelerator mode. This works fine for me and solved the performance problems at the moment. The backend does lots of database-requests on more-or-less "static-content".

Your cooperation is welcome.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Volker Neise