Re: [squid-users] Choose OS for squid cache.

From: Russ Uhte <russlists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:03:15 -0500

Milind Nanal wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> I want to configure Squid cache engine on Intel based server with bsd
> operating system. Doing basic search I found there are 3 types of bsd 1)
> freebsd 2) openbsd 3) netbsd Which one out of there 3 would be best for
> squid wccp2 cache engine?

Which one are you most familiar with? That is the best way to decide.
If you aren't very familiar with any of them, I strongly encourage you
to pick one OS, and learn it before putting one of your critical
services on it. I think all of this is covered in the user guide under
http://squid-docs.sourceforge.net/latest/html/x94.html.

One quick note about FreeBSD... I just put a proxy server in place
running FreeBSD with 4 cache drives each with 10GB used for the cache
and 2GB of total RAM. About once a day, squid would die and restart due
to a malloc error. Following the FAQ, I recompiled squid using
--enable-dlmalloc, and this hasn't happened since!!

> Also please give my any links, which compares freebsd vs openbas vs netbsd.

Here's a very basic overview of the different distros...
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3393051

-Russ

---