[squid-users] WCCP 1 squid box found but not able to browse

From: Milind Nanal <milindyn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:33:56 +0530

List,

I am currently having a Cisco router (with IOS 12.X) with WCCP2 configured
on the same & a CISCO cache engine. The router has support for WCCP 1 &
WCCP2 both.
I want to replace this Cisco cache engine with Squid cache. I am using
RedHat 9.0 with squid-2.5.STABLE. By setting WCCP1 on the router side
router is able to discover the squid cache.

I have verified from router's DEBUG log that my Squid is senging sending
HERE_I_AM packets to the router. Router is sending Sending I_See_You packet
to squid.

On squid Linux box I have used the iptables command to make your kernel
intercept HTTP connections and send them to Squid:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

My problem is that I am not able to browse any site one the router starts
diverting all HTTP request to squid box. If I set squid proxy in the
client's browser then it works that means my squid is able to serve the
request. But setting proxy on client's browser is not I want. I want it to
run in transparent mode. I have used
http://www.swelltech.com/support/usersguide/ch10.html to setup this .

Quick response is appreciated.

Regards,