Re: [squid-users] cache dir size / cache mem

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:04:40 +0100

On 01.11 10:42, digitalfx wrote:

please send new mail to list when opening new thread.

> for 150 users, which is the recommended/optimal size for /var/spool/squid
> 100 16 256 ??

"cache_dir /var/spool/squid 100 16 256"
is already a setting...

the cache_dir size should be as big one week's HTTP traffic.
the second level directory number probably should stay 256, the first
depends on cache size, minimal and maximal file size.

> Im using 2HDs 120Gb each in raid 0 mode for /var

have you read the FAQ?
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-3.html#ss3.11

however, for 2x120GB spool and for objects 0B - 32 MB I'd use setting

cache_dir 100000 32 256

and use two caches, one on each drive.

> and cache_mem ??

try to look at: http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html

you will find out how much memory will squid probably eat, substract that
from memory your machine has and wee how many will remain for rest of the
OS. I think you can use 8MB memory cache, however I use 300MB with maximom
object size in memory set to 256KB

It's now safe to throw off your computer.