Re: [squid-users] Problems with ntlm_auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:02:54 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, John wrote:

> My site is also moving away from LDAP to Active Directory for authentication
> for our internet users going through the Squid proxy server. Reading the
> reply below, does it ean that in order to get squid to talk to active
> directory for user authentication, it is also a requirement to set up,
> configure and run samba?

No, Actiive Directory is a fine LDAP server and the LDAP authentication
for Squid works fine with Active Directory.

You only need to set up Samba if you in addition wants to use NTLM
authentication (also known as Microsoft Integrated Login), providing
automatic authentication for users using MSIE while logged in to the
domain, saving them from having to enter their login one more time.