Re: [squid-users] Squid and zlib

From: Danny <dannydaemonic@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 12:56:48 -0700

> On the zlib web site, the current version of zlib is 1.2.2. There is a
> note that zlib 1.2.x is faster than (I'm assuming) version 1.1.x.

I use zlib for several things, among them is reading .zip files, the
biggest difference that I can feel is BY FAR the new crc32 algorithm.
(It's really quite brilliant.) However, this shouldn't matter to
Squid since it doesn't use the crc32 algorithm.

> My reason for asking is that I'm using MacOS X, which ships from Apple
> with zlib 1.1.3. Building version 1.2.2 is trivial, but is it worth
> it?

If you are looking for a reason to upgrade then you may want to
consider security fixes. I'm not sure, maybe Apple's version was
already patched for the vulnerabilities found over the past couple of
years, but it seems strange it would be 1.1.3.