Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxying and application logging

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:06:10 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Erwin Wessels wrote:

> The product is a multi-source search engine - what we want to log is which
> source was used (to start with). The application can certainly log this, but
> there is no clean way to get this in the original log files (an IMO 'unclean'
> example is using an image in the result page with the required info in it's
> query string.) Maybe I am forced to go with the unclean solution and use
> run-time logfile parsing to feed the stuff back in a database...

If you add the required information in a custom response header then you
can make Squid log this with the request in access.log. Either by
"log_mime_hdrs", or by using the custom log formats (will be available in
Squid-3.0. Patch to 2.5)

It may be possible to use header_access to filter out the custom header
before it is sent to the client but I am not sure (if you are unlucky it
also filters out the header before access.log..).