[squid-users] IE intermittent login prompt

From: <marvin.heyboer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:04:23 -0800

Hello all,

Two of my 100+ users that use the proxy server, are having a strange
issue in that they are prompted to enter the username/password before
they can access the Internet. The server is running Squid 2.5.6.
Clients are running Windows 2000/XP, IE 6 SP1. Internet Explorer is set
to 'Automatically Detect Settings' on all computers, and all computers
are finding the proxy ok. To get around this issue, I have simply
allowed these computers direct access to the Internet rather than using
the proxy. Tests I have tried:
-login as that user on another computer; they can access Internet
without being prompted & authentication still works ok
-login as different user on the same problematic computer, I can access
Internet ok as well without getting prompted, auth works ok as well
-login as that user on the problematic computer and manually specify
proxy server in IE and CAN access Internet ok w/o prompt, auth works ok
-Tried resetting IE settings, clearing out temp files, cookies, etc;
still does not work
-Tried reinstalling Windows XP SP2, still does not work
-Enabled registry setting to disable IE Automatic Proxy Caching
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271361/EN-US/); still does not work

The problem appears to be profile specific just on those affected
computers. I realize nuking the profile will resolve this issue, but
that is not a long term solution. Has anyone experienced this problem
or have any suggestions I can try?

Thanks in advance,
Marvin