Re: [squid-users] Slow Squid

From: Steve Brown <sbrown@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:37:53 +0000

Sturgis, Grant wrote:

> The hardware is:
>
> Dell PE 1650

Are you using PERC2/3 hardware RAID?

I found on the similar machines we run here that the hardware RAID
performance under Linux is outrageously poor. I converted all our
machines to software raid and the performance improved from about 15MB/s
write on a RAID5 to 75MB/s with s/w RAID. That's with 10k SCSI drives.

Before the change, our Squid proxies spent an awful lot of time being
I/O bound.

Also, I split the cache into 3 cache dirs, each 8GB on a different
physical drive. Now Squid is a very happy bunny.

-S