Re: [squid-users] Squid Upgrade

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:42:24 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, John wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if upgrading from Squid 2.3 to Squid 2.5 Stable 7 requires
> any changes to the squid.conf?

It depends on what directives you use. Some directives was changed in
Squid-2.4, and yet some in Squid-2.5.

A good start would be to read the release notes. These try to outline
which directives have changed for what reasons.

We do try to keep configuration files compatible when possible, but
this is not always feasible.

My recommended procedure:

1. Clean your existing squid.conf from all the documentation, and instead
add comments of your own explaining why you have configured your Squid in
certain manners, if not done already.

   cat squid.conf | grep -v '^#' | grep -v '^$' > squid.conf.clean
   mv squid.conf squid.conf.old
   mv squid.conf.clean squid.conf
   [edit this squid.conf to document your configuration]

2. Read the release notes of all versions in the upgrade chain (i.e.
release notes of both Squid-2.4 and Squid-2.5 when upgrading from 2.3 to
2.5), and match what is said there to your configuration to determine if
there is any obvious things you need to watch out for.

3. Install the new version.

4. Run "squid -k parse" and fix what it complains on. For current
documentation see squid.conf.default. The release notes can also be
helpful here.

5. Restart Squid to activate the new version.