Re: [squid-users] corrupted downloads with squidguard

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:25:54 +0100

>> Did you check the cache.log while reloading? Maybe the redirectors are
>> crashing (just a wild guess).
>
> They are not crashing but it simply seems that sending HUP signal to
> squidGuard is killing squidguard redirectors, so during the lists
> reloading, redirectors are not availiable and squid crash and restart :
>
> Nov 17 22:35:06 proxy squid[25267]: Too few redirector processes are
> running
> Nov 17 22:35:06 proxy squid[25063]: Squid Parent: child process 25267
> exited due to signal 6
> 2004-11-17 22:35:06 [25272] squidGuard stopped (1100727306.777)
> Nov 17 22:35:09 proxy squid[25063]: Squid Parent: child process 25300
> started

"Too few redirector processes" or something similar is what I (sort of)
expected in the access.log

> so it is bad to kill squidguard.
>

> squid -k reconfigure seems to do the same, but.....

but I think this is completely different when seen from the squid as it
controls the shutdown and startup of the redirectors.

> error : can't read /etc/squid.conf : permission denied
> Well.... It crashes here!!!!!! and then really restart, rebuilding its
> cache (very long)
> the strangest thing is that squid was accepting to start, but not
> reloading with /etc/squid.conf root owned...

squid is dropping root privileges after startup. So it can read the conf
as root at startup but no more when already running as nobody (or whatever).
I would prefer the file owned by root granting read privileges via the
group.

# TAG: cache_effective_user
# TAG: cache_effective_group
#
# If the cache is run as root, it will change its effective/real
# UID/GID to the UID/GID specified below. The default is to
# change to UID to proxy and GID to proxy.
#
# If Squid is not started as root, the default is to keep the
# current UID/GID. Note that if Squid is not started as root then
# you cannot set http_port to a value lower than 1024.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer