Re: [squid-users] Wrong URL

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:58:50 +0100

yury alekseev wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm having the following problem with squid as someone had and alrady
> wrote about it. So i just copied the message since i have exact the same
> problem!

No answers where you copied this message?

> I have a machine running squid (squid box) and some stations
> that are supposed to go through the squid box.
>

> When I set the browser of a station to go through the
> squid box (setting up to go through a proxy informing
> the IP of squid box and port) everything works just
> fine.
> But when I use some iptables redirect rules ("all
> incoming pkts destinated to port 80, go to port 3128")
> in the squid box and set that as gateway for the
> station, to make all the process transparent, any site
> I try to reach from the station receives de "URL could
> not be retrieved..." error.
>
> I think that the redirect is working, because the
> error page that is shown is generated by squid.
>
> What can be wrong? What's the difference between go
> through a proxy setting up the browser or by
> redirecting?

Check the transparent proxy howto's. I believe you need to add

     * httpd_accel_host virtual
     * httpd_accel_port 80
     * httpd_accel_with_proxy on
     * httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

One copy can be found here:
http://www.zeitfenster.de/TransparentProxy/TransparentProxy.html

I prefer automatic proxy config (wpad). It is almost als comfortable as
an transparent proxy but easier and more powerful to configure.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer