Re: [squid-users] FreeBSD, 4GB of Ram, Making Squid USE it!

From: Venkatesh K <kaevee@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:42:09 +0530

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:07:15 -0800, Gaylord Van Brocklin
<vanbrockling@saic.com> wrote:
> My Dual 2.0GHz Xeon w/ 2GB of RAM boxes just got upgraded to Dual
> 2.8GHz Xeons with 4GB of RAM. The boxes are running FreeBSD
> 4.10-STABLE (cvs updated and rebuilt as of yesterday).
>
> My previous kernel was set with MAXDSIZ="(1843*1024*1024)", Squid sat
> at around 1700MB of memory utilization and I never had any stability
> issues.
>
> I am trying to recompile the kernel with MAXDSIZ="(3072*1024*1024)",
> but am getting mmap errors when I reboot. I read a TON of stuff about
> FreeBSD, 4GB of memory, KVM_PAGES, and kernel tuning issues, so I tried
> setting MAXDSIZ to 2048 which allowed the machine to boot, but services
> wouldn't start due to memory/threading issues.
>
> Why can't I tune this box past 1.8GB of memory for Squid? Do I need to
> go to 5.3-RELEASE? How are you guys getting Squid to eat up more than
> 2 gigs of memory?

The amount of RAM used by squid depends on your cache size and objects
in transit. The larger the cache, the more ram will be used by squid.

Are you having any performance problems?

If not, you would better let the OS make use this spare RAM for
caching objects in filesystem cache and deliver them to squid as and
when requested.

Just my thoughts..

Venkatesh K