Re: [squid-users] FreeBSD, 4GB of Ram, Making Squid USE it!

From: <airween@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:00:25 +100 (CET)

hello,

> My previous kernel was set with
> MAXDSIZ="(1843*1024*1024)", Squid sat
> at around 1700MB of memory utilization and I never had
> any stability issues.
ok,

> I am trying to recompile the kernel with
> MAXDSIZ="(3072*1024*1024)",
> but am getting mmap errors when I reboot. I read a TON
> of stuff about
> FreeBSD, 4GB of memory, KVM_PAGES, and kernel
> tuning issues, so I tried
> setting MAXDSIZ to 2048 which allowed the machine to
> boot, but services
> wouldn't start due to memory/threading issues.

when i try to configure the Squid with hih-mem (1.5G RAM),
i used this parameters:

kernel:
options NMBCLUSTERS=1024
options NMBUFS=4096
# depend of your memory size:
options MAXDSIZ="(1228*1024*1024)"
options MAXSSIZ="(1228*1024*1024)"
options DFLDSIZ="(1024*1024*1024)"
# yes, i added 1.2 G mem to maxdsize and maxssize,
# but just added 1G to dfldsize

i builded kernel with these parameters.

then, i put these sysctl's to /boot/loader.conf:
kern.ipc.nmbclusters="16384"
kern.ipc.nmbufs="65536"
kern.ipc.maxfiles="2048"

in your squid conf you have to enable your cache_mem
size max half size of the kernel MAXDSIZE value.

it was on FreeBSD 4.8-4.9...

bye:
a.