Re: [squid-users] Failover and/or load sharing possible with cache_peer?

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:47:20 +0800

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 23:17, Andrew Sawyers wrote:
> Tobias Reckhard wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Short question: is it possible to implement failover and/or load sharing
> > with Squid configuration parameters alone when one Squid has two
> > upstream Squids available as cache_peers (but no direct access to
> > anything else) and, if so, how?
> I use heartbeat for this. If the primary fails, the secondary comes
> online and the two 'upstreams' don't know any difference.
> See http://www.linux-ha.org/heartbeat/

Can Hearbeat work for remote squids? I'm researching for fail-over and
high availablity for squid running in remote locations.

eg:

---[center1]--interstate--[center2]---

center1 and center2 will have independent squid installations. (but each
will use the other as sibling)

most likely using transparent proxy/wccp/ bridging (which one is better)
and I would like users connected to center1's squid be fail-overed to
center2's squid in case center1 goes down. (otherwise, being a
tranparent proxy, if center1(or 2)'s squid goes down, (for some reason)
I-net access for that center will fail.

AFAIK, Hearbeat uses serial cables for monitoring, (I may be wrong, the
last time I read the documentation).