[squid-users] Forcing Squid to cache all pages in accelerator mode

From: Anthony Edwards <anthony.edwards@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:48:17 +0000

All

I have configured squid to run in accelerator mode in front of our application server.

ie

User Browser <--------> Squid <--------> Application Server

In our case, all URL's uniquely define a page, so we can cache them with no fear of any session information meaning that one user should see a different page for the same basic URL. The URLs are generally of the form http://<host>/a_jsp_page?arguments. As our underlying data only changes daily, i would like to just generate each URL only once, and let squid serve copies to everyone else. Hence, I also restart squid daily and clear the caches down.

I believe the following refresh_pattern sould do the job

refresh_pattern . 1440 100% 1440 ignore-reload override-lastmod override-expire reload-into-ims

Unfortunately, this does not force all object to be cached - I still get some TCP_MISS's for identical requests. Some dynamic pages do get cached, but not even all the static images are cached (as I can see via the TCP_MISS messages in the log).

Is there a way that I can configure squid so that I can see why the URL is a TCP_MISS (ie expired or whatever)? Is there something else I am missing, to force squid to cache everything?

I am using 2.5-STABLE on RedHat 9

Any pointers would be appreciated

Many thanks to you all

Tony