RE: [squid-users] (113) no route to host please help

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:07:22 +0100

> hi all,
> I m having a problem with squid 2.5 stable1. Often it gives
> an error '(113) no
> route to host' but if I restart squid it works fine for about
> 15 to 30 mins.
> squid is accepting connection on port 3128. I have also few
> iptables to accept
> connection from the internet and nat to another server (on
> the internal
> network). The ports I am accepting from the internet are 80,
> 8000, 25 and 110.
> does any one have an idea of what is the problem. if any one
> needs more info
> please tell me.....
> below is a piece from the cache log while trying to access
> hotmail and the
> error occurs.

 Normally, 'no route to host' is returned by the
ip stack and says what is says : a problem of network
routing when trying to reach www.hotmail.com.

Try , for instance :

 # traceroute www.hotmail.com

from the squid box at that time; see whether this works.

Also : upgrade to the latest stable release; 2.5.stable1 is way
old and in between tons and tons of bugs have been fixed.
Although this particular issue is not squid related
but comes from the networking layer.

M.