Re: [squid-users] Re: do we need to create the user "squid" by ourselves?

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:43:18 +0100

Adam Aube wrote:
> Yong Bong Fong wrote:
>

>>my question is do we need to create the user account "squid" manually or
>>is it automatically created upon installation.
>

> If you compiled Squid from sources, you need to create the squid user
> manually. If you installed a pre-built Squid package, the package may
> create the squid user automatically. This is package-dependent, of course.
>
> Adam

Hello,

The account created by a pre-build package may be locked or configured
unsuitable for interactive use - depends on the maintainer.

> Yong Bong Fong wrote:
> *[root@matrix log]# su squid
> This account is currently not available*.

I have never seen a message like this, what kind of Unix is this squid
running at?

What you can do to track the problem down:

check if an account exists:
#id squid
check account config:
#grep squid /etc/passwd