RE: [squid-users] Squid + Iptables + MSN/Jabber problem

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:30:48 +0100

> Im having a big problems to deny/allow traffic, (i mean
> traffic, not just
> web
> filtering) perhaps someone could clarify me some things...
>
> Squid as it says in its guides is an http proxy, so all other kind of
> traffic goes trought the firewall/iptables/nat.. ? Only http/ftp is
> "intercepted" by squid?

   - There is nothing 'intercepted' by squid. For none-transparant
setups; the user's browser must be configured to use the (squid) proxy
by proxy config mechanisms albeit auto (pac file) or manual settings.

   - Squid can not be used as a native ftp proxy and or will not handle
and certainly not intercept ftp traffic.

   M.