Re: [squid-users] Disk Configuration

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:02:33 +0100

Chris Robertson wrote:

> Everything I've read says that you should not use any RAID for your cache
> directories. Make a bunch of cache dirs (each on its own disk), and let
> Squid sort it out.
>
> Chris

I just want to add that 250GB of cache needs a lot of memory for the
index. The figure I know is 10M of RAM for 1GB of cache.
It is a good thing to use multiple separate drive to spread the i/o but
I would carefully increase the cache size while monitoring the memory usage.
I have recently switched vom striping to separate drives. The
performance is similar, but if one drive fails only one cache_dir is
lost. With a stripe you will lose everything. (Thanks to Adam Aube for
pointing this out for me).

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer