Re: [squid-users] 443 traffic allowed

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:31:22 +0800

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 13:34, Billy Kotlaroff wrote:
> I have users on the network using a proxy program called hopster which
> encrypts traffic from the client and forwards to a server allowing access to
> applications otherwise banned. My understanding is that squid cannot
> inspect the traffic because it is encrypted and tunnelled through squid.
> Squid does not decrypt to inspect traffic. Please correct me if otherwise.

if connecting via SSL, it uses the CONNECT method. It will not decrypt
traffic (nor is it able to)

> Is there anyway this can be blocked by using squid?
Yes

> I have the destination
> IP address, and it connects to destination port 443.

Then just whip up a rule that says that. (not sure if it will work as
advertised, esp due to the port)

acl HopsterPort port 443
acl Hopster dst destination-ip-address
http_access deny Hopster HopsterPort

> I believe this
> information is the same all the time, but I cannot confirm.
Then you might want to exercise caution here with the rule above.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz