Re: [squid-users] RE: Disk Configuration

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:53:29 +0100

On 29.11 16:28, Adam Aube wrote:
> The only caution about RAID I have seen is that RAID-5 will kill disk
> performance with Squid (due to its usage profile). I don't know if RAID-1
> and RAID-10 are similarly affected.

RAID-1 is disk mirroring, which is safe for the cases one of disks fails.

RAID-0 is stripping that should not be used - squid has better performance
with multiple storages

RAID-5 was already explained, has very poor write performance (and causes
high CPU load)

> For best disk performance you should use several smaller disks and have
> Squid setup a cache dir on each one (no RAID).

agreed.

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.