[squid-users] Re: squid-2.5 s7 polygraph benchmarking

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:32:07 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Muthukumar wrote:

> When I tried to benchmark squid 2.5 stable 7, getting problem with TIME_WAIT on polygraph server.

If TIME_WAIT really is a problem for you on the polygraph server then your
Polygraph server OS is not correctly tuned.

Have you completed the no-proxy test of your polygraph benchmark setup
successfully?

> 1. what is the problem to get "X-Squid-Error: ERR_CONNECT_FAIL 113" / HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable?

This indicates the requested server could not be reached or was not
listening for requests.

> 2. Do we have to tune kernel parameters for benchmarking squid?

You need to tune polygraph servers and clients correctly according to the
polygraph documnentation.

You may also need to tune the proxy server, but usually not.

> Suggest easy & good way of benchmarking squid!

Polygraph is relatively easy and very good, but it takes a while to get
the initial networking setup correct when using the newer workloads
(polymix4 or later).