Re: [squid-users] Squid limits and hardware spec

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:13:40 +0800

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 16:04, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> > Ow Mun Heng wrote: You want to save bandwidth or you want speed??
>
> On 02.12 13:13, Martin Marji Cermak wrote: Yes, I want to Save bandwidth.
>
> In such case you probably need: bigger cache (add new disk probably) lower
> - maximum_object_size cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
>
> explanations below

> > >I made mine to cache up to 40MB only. If you really want to have more
> > >byte hit ratio, then by all means, up the max_obj_size.
> >
> > OK, now I have: maximum_object_size 200 MB
>
> I increased maximum_object_Size from 20MB (last time I verified what files
> were repeatedly fetched they were under 20 MB) to 32 MB and the byte hit
> ratio decreased.

Well, if he really wants to save on bandwidth and have the cache big
enough, I don't see why having a max obj size of 200MB to be not good.

Then again, it depends on usage.

> Yes, I work by an ISP where customers use to fetch very different files,
> that is expected. I don't know what situation you are in, but note that
> one 50MB file takes space of 50 1MB files and there is big probability
> that smaller files will be fetched more often.

True. One 50MB file = 50x hit ratio of 50 1MB file.

Thus, higher Byte_hit_ratio

> > >This seems too low. I used 40GB of the 80GB drive
>
> > OK, I changed it to cache_dir aufs /cache 92000 16 256
>
> no no no, even if you have whole drive for the cache, you should note that
> there is some overhead in filesystems etc. I'm glad that I may use 30000
> kB (which is a bit less than 29GB) on 36GB hdd. You probably should use:

Proper usage is to use ~70-80% MAX of the physical HD space being
allocated for the cache.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz