[squid-users] Multicast Question

From: J Thomas Hancock <jthancock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 03:44:31 -0600

First off I would like to thank everyone for their input on my previous disk
configuration question.

I am in the process of setting up a small army of transparent caching
servers. I am using Fedora Core 3 as the OS and Squid version 2.5.7
compiled from source. The servers each have 2 NICs. I plan on using NIC1
for clients and fetching the information from the internet. I want to use
NIC 2 to share the cache with the other Squid servers.

I currently have a peer_cache setup that seems to be working. I would like
to change it to a multicast group.

Is there a significant performance increase? Instead of sending an ICP
query to each peer, I only send the packet out once, but I will still get
the same number of responses.

Will multicast scale better than just using a peer relationship?

Finally, can I use a private IP subnet like 192.168.1.0/24 for the second
NICs and the multicast address or must I use addresses in the multicast
space?

Thank you,
Tom Hancock