RE: [squid-users] LFUDA replacement policy - Byte Hit 18%

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:28:14 +0100

> Hello Guys,
> I'm trying to save some bandwidth, so I have
>
> cache_replacement_policy heap LFUDA
> maximum_object_size 200 MB
>
> in my config file, because I believed this policy was the
> best one for
> maximising the Byte Hit Ratio.

  I think it is too.

> I had to wait for 3 days to get my cache full (84 GB total),
> because I
> started with an empty cache (my environment: small ISP; 3500 ADSL
> customers; average Client Http Request: 119 req/s, 205 req/s peek;
> CacheHTTPout: 1MB/s, 2 MB/s peek).
>
> During these 3 days, before the cache got full, my peek time Byte Hit
> Ratio (60min) was over 20% (max 23%).
> But, after the cache had filled, my peek time Byte Hit Ratio (60 min)
> was between 16% and 18% only!
>
> I guess, because the cache had filled, Squid started
> replacing instead
> of adding pages.

  Squid only saves http objects, it knows nothing about webpages.

> I guess Squid must have released some files
> which were
> quite large or/and frequently used.
>
> I'm surprised about that - I didn't expect the Byte Ratio going down
> after the cache had filled.
>
> Any comments of this?

  Probably normal as the number of objects increases, the chance
of misses on small objects is larger then hitting larger objects, because
there so many small objects compared to bigger ones.

BTW : your squid is doing fine. I have the same Byte hit ration on
a 40Gb cache with heap LFUDA.

M.