Re: [squid-users] startup: rebuild store/delay serving requests?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 00:37:32 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>> -F Don't serve any requests until store is rebuilt
>
> Ah, this sems to be even worse than original solution - in this case squid
> accepts connections, but doesn't answer any requests until the store is
> rebuilt.

Which is fine assuming your L4 switch is sufficiently smart to prope the
member servers with real HTTP requests and not only TCP connection probes.

> maybe it should not call accept() before the store rebuild (and probably
> validation) is done. I understand that why does it bind()/listen() -
> rebuilding store and then finding out that it can't bind to interfaces
> would be unwelcome by admins.

This is what it currently does..

But you are right, it is the listen() call which should be delayed, and
can in theory be delayed as it does not require any privileges. Patches to
Squid-3 (and perhaps 2.5) is welcome.

There is even a Bugzilla entry for this issue I think.