[squid-users] sarg - the squid reporting tool

From: Rolf <rolf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:25:27 +1100

hello

I am looking for some info on Sarg, the reporting tool for squid logs.
Documentation is a little thin. Sorry in advance if asking on this list
is inappropriate.

The tool does most of the stuff I need with minimal configuration.

In the time display for a given user/client, each hour is expressed as
hours:minutes:seconds but some of the entries list that between for
example 10am and 11am more than 60 minutes of activity was recorded.
How can this be? What does the time actually mean if this is valid
information?

In the summary lists, I have the list sorted by time, descending. So
the elapsed time is the column reflecting this. what is the MILISEC
column for and what does it mean? for eg a value of "61M", is that 61
seconds?

In the top sites list the time column uses a similar format, eg '16M'.
what does this represent for that site? also '747k' is in the time
column. What units are in use here?
In the connect column 'K' is used - do I take that as the usual meaning
of 'thousand'? eg '6K' is 6,000 connects to the corresponding url?

If there is a better resource for asking about this software, could I
be directed to it?

I have looked at many reporting tools for squid. If there are others
that does reporting like sarg does: list of users/clients and their
sites and times, what do people recommend? Being able to drill down the
report a little more than sarg offers would be an improvement.

thanks

rolf.