[squid-users] Re: Squid ntlm_auth problem

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:57:25 -0500

Maarten Claes wrote:

> System is a basic debian sarge installation with samba 3.0.9 and
> squid-2.5STABLE7 (compiled these two myself)

> Everything works as mentioned in the squid documentation and the
> thread until I had to test the ntlm_auth utility that comes with my
> samba (3.0.9) installation:
>
> sarge:~# /usr/local/samba/bin/ntlm_auth
> --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic MyDomain+myuser Mypwd
> --debuglevel=10

This is wrong. Squid basic auth helpers read "username password" on stdin on
an endless loop. What this means is you need to run the helper like this:

$ /usr/local/samba/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic

The helper will run, giving you just a blank line with no prompt. At that
point, type "MyDomain+myuser Mypwd" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Squid will respond with OK or ERR. If you get error, add the --debuglevel
option to see where the problem is.

Adam