Re: [squid-users] https_port question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:53:18 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> I've not done extensive testing, but did I read right that squid does
> not support Java proxying?

There is no such thing as "Java proxying".

What there is is a mixture of different client applications and JRE
versions. For proxying to work with an Java application the following
criterieas must be fulfilled

   a) The Java application must only use the standard HTTP primitives for
networking, not attemting to make direct TCP/UDP connections to the
network.

   b) The JRE version used for running the Java application must be proxy
aware, much in the same manner as your browser must be proxy aware..

If any of the above two criterias is not fulfulled then the Java
application won't work with proxies, simply because it does not know how
to.

> If that's the case, then transparent proxying (interception) would have
> a big problem wouldn't it??

On the opposite. Transparent interception works fine with both of the
above issues simply because it does not care.