Re: [squid-users] Re: Max-File Descriptors

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:27:05 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 06:47, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>>
>> This question is more of an glibc question than kernel, and no, you do not
>> need to edit this file any more with Squid-2.5 as Squid now automatically
>> works around the glibc limit.
>
> Then should the FAQ be updated to reflect that??

The mentioned change is in glibc headers, not the kernel.

The FAQ already says at the very beginning of the Linux filedescriptors
section:

    Linux kernel 2.2.12 and later supports "unlimited" number of open
    files without patching. ....

and shortly after that

    Edit /usr/include/bits/types.h to define __FD_SETSIZE to at least
    the amount of filedescriptors you'd like to support (Not required
    for Squid-2.5 and later).

for the full text see Squid FAQ 11.4 Running out of filedescriptors
<url:http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.4>

> I'll see how far I can go without recompiling and just using Fedora's
> packaged rpms

These are built with the kernel defaults of 1024 filedescriptors.