[squid-users] Bandwidth Management

From: Craig Main <satuxman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:23:31 +0200

Hi all,

I have an internet cafe connected on a not so fast leased line (64k).

I definately need to use a caching proxy. I currently use squid, and
it works fine. However if one of the terminals has a 'power surfer',
they tend to use all of the bandwidth leaving not much for the other
terminals.

I have tryed squids delay pools, but they don't really do what I want.
What I really need is to split all the bandwidth between the terminals
that are drawing traffic fairly.

I have setup tc qdiscs and classes on the interface between the proxy
and the terminals sharing the bandwith fairly and using sfq qdiscs for
when the limit is reached. The problem with this scenario is that
squid still pulls the info from the net unfairly, so only traffic from
squid to the terminals is managed.

I was hoping that there might be some way of using delay pools that
handles bandwidth management the way I need to.

Can anyone recommend a way to setup squid to do what I need?

Many Thanks
Craig