RE: [squid-users] Delay Pools

From: Robert Trouchet <Robert.Trouchet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:04:05 +0800

On 14 Dec 2004 at 13:31, Robert Trouchet wrote:

> I wish to implement a speed limiter for users in the NT group
> SLowInternet. All other users have full speed connections. I do not
> notice any difference in speed of the Internet connection using my
> test SlowInternet account and a normal account in side by side
> comparisons in spite of what I thought would be a serious speed
> restriction.
>
> The system uses the Windows version of squid and authenticates using
> ntlm authentication. I have enclosed part of my squid.conf file below.
>

> acl SlowAccount external NT_global_group SlowInternet
>
> # Lines snipped here
>
> delay_pools 2
> delay_class 1 1
> delay_class 2 1
>
> delay_access 1 allow SlowAccount
> delay_access 1 deny all
>
> delay_access 2 allow all
>
> delay_parameters 1 200/300
> delay_parameters 2 200000/250000

Bob,

What does cachemgr.cgi say? We just got delay pools going on our
production server, and so far it is working well. It is currently running on

NT, but we will be switching to linux shortly. You must ensure you are
running the delay pools binary for NT (squid -v will confirm this, or check
for a squid.exe.log file in the sbin folder - it will complain if delay
pools are
not compiled in). We are also using class 3 delay pools, as we have a
class B network to apply it to, but your config looks like it should work.
You may want to add an ACL for a specific IP or subnet for testing, then
see if the delay works. Believe me - with 200/300, you will know when it's
working!
We are using 100000/100000 for out student residence networks, and it is
doing a great job of keeping our usage under control. We used to see
98% peak usage on our 10Mb line, now they are capped at 80%, and
rarely go over 50%. 100KB/s is still reasonable for general browsing, and
acceptable for most downloads.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School
http://www.sls.bc.ca
swright@sls.bc.ca

Thanks for the reply Shawn

1. I have added in a deny the slow account access to the main pool line
(above the allow all line) as below

 delay_access 2 deny SlowAccount

2. I have checked and I am running the delay pools version.

3. How should I look at the cachemgr.cgi file. It is not viewable with
Notepad.

4. My network is a class A (10.a.b.c). I have created a dedicated account
just for testing. The restrictions need to be on a user by user basis as
users can log onto any computer on the network.

Regards

Bob