RE: [squid-users] Transparent proxy

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:42:15 +0100

> Hi,
>
> We are using Lucent Cellpipe 20 Series xDSL router and users are on
> Win9x. Is there a way to use transparent proxy so that users
> cannot use
> the router's LAN IP as gatewat?

That's unrelated. It's still possible to intercept http traffic
even if the default gateway at IP level is set in that way.
Check the FAQ on guidelines for different kind
of transp. proxying setups.

But transp. proxying is has it's drawbacks. There are subtle issues
were it can lead to problems. Because http expects to work
in the standard TCP/Ip networking model, where if not proxied ,it thinks
it is talking directly to the remote server.

M.