[squid-users] Java applet loading and caching problems with Squid

From: Tilmann Haug <tilmann_haug@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 12:01:43 +0100

Dear Group,
my contacts with squid go back about 5 years. Currently squid is not
part of my personal tasks I´writing today beacause of a problem that
migth be related with squid. I hope someone on the list has ideas where
I could continus with the troubleshooting. Here is the case:

We are running a Jave based web application under Windwos 2000 Server.
There are two applets delivered to the clients. In the past we had some
problems when a new version of the applet came out and the old version
still remained in the proxy caches of our customers.
With a simple deletion of the applets from the cache, the problem was
solved.

Now, we have a new case that is far more disturbing.
Some clients who used successfully the application in the past only get
the first applett and then can´t go on.

The process is as follows:
Client requsts the Login-Applet.
The applet is loading
The user enters his data and sends them back.
After authentication the second applett is loaded.

Now we have a number of users, where the first applett is successfully
loaded, but once they try to authenticate, the second applet won´t load.

This scanario appears only with users having a Proxy in their network.
Some of the users have successfully connected to the application
(applett2) once they skipped the proxy.

We recorded the network traffic and had strange findings: The applet
tries to connect to port 65535 instead of port 80.

Now the question is:
How can squid influence the behavior of the two applets?
What do the developpers have to change in the applet to avoid caching
problems with squid?
How could one configure squid, to let the applets pass?
Did anyone have similar problems, and how could they be solved?
What are the importend config directions to make sure the applets are
not chached (for both squid and the application)?
What relation between the request of port 65535 can there be in relation
  to squid?

Thanks very much for any hints and your help.
I appreciate all comments and suggestions, where to look, and what do try.

Thanks in advance.
Beste regards from Munich
Tilmann Haug