RE: [squid-users] Upstream Proxy problem

From: Martyn Bright <brightm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:55:07 -0000

> > I have a local squid proxy that passes all requests to an
> > upstream proxy
> > at our ISP. Normal web pages are fine, but a thick client
application
> > that is proxy aware fails to work if I point it at our local
> > proxy. If
> > I point it directly at the ISP's proxy, it works perfectly. How do
> > diagnose what is not getting through? I've tried various levels of
> > debugging, but can make little sense of it.
>
> There's more info needed to go into this.
>
> Local Squid version ?
> Os/platform version ?
Squid 2.5 Stable 6 on Fedora 2

> What is 'fails to work' ?
> What happens more exact ?
The application (to which I have no debug control) reports a failed
internet connection whilst trying to retreive data from an http server.

> How are all requests passed to the upstream proxy ?
> (config setting).
The line from the config file is:-
cache_peer proxy.easynet.net parent 3128 0

> Determine (show) access log entries in Squid for objects which
> can't be loaded (e.g).
> These should be compared with log entries, from the Upstream Proxy,
> when the upstream proxy is being used directly.
I have no access to the logs from the upstream proxy, so can't tell what
goes to it. As far as I can tell, my proxy is not reporting any
failures.

The only other thing I could do is provide a tcpdump of the traffic to
each of the proxies. Is there a log setting in squid that will show
failed connections?