[squid-users] Squid Growth

From: <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:44:38 -0000 (GMT)

Hello,

We have recently been running very low on system growth through our squid
cache servers in an ISP transparent cache service. I have no problems
running it etc and its been great for a long time.

I have some questions about an upgrade path. We are currently looking to
increase many of our servers performance. This has been done to try and
grow with our customers growth to adsl etc etc.

Currently im running 8 * Dual Pentium 3 1ghz servers with 4gb RAM and 4 *
18gb SCSI drives for the store in each system (only about 10-12gb used max
per disk).

What we are looking at doing is upgrading we are tossing up the options I
have been reading alot about what we should be looking towards. I have
some questions though that I would like to answer. I have been told that
the Opteron systems are great for this type of application. Primarily
because of the great memory controller on chip/large amount of RAM that
the system can handle. I am looking to upgrade the service to a single
Opteron 244 at this stage with the same sort of disk arrangement however
Im looking at 4 * 36GB (because the 18s are getting harder and harder to
get if they fail). however Im looking to use the 15,000RPM drives.

Would that make a big difference to the over all performance? Does/Can
squid use any of the benefits of going to an opteron. Should I just look
at other platforms.

Any additional Advice would be great.

Regards,

Jack