Re: [squid-users] transparent proxy howto?

From: Dodjie Nava <dnava6@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 01:04:48 -0800 (PST)

nick,

i suggest a good combination of acl for your ip
addresses & authentication methods will do the job for
you.

the faq has lots of example for this.

in one case i did, i use samba authentication during
logon (nt style) & squid (transparent) is configured
to allow all the predefined ip addresses only.

hope this helps.

--- Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> wrote:

> <quote who="Henrik Nordstrom">
> >

> > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Nick Smith wrote:
> >
> >> can someone point me to a good howto for setting
> up a
> >> transparent proxy with
> >> client authentication?
> >
> > You can't combine transparent interception and
> authentication.
> > HTTP does
> > not allow this for very good reasons.
>
> well i dont want just anyone connecting to my proxy,
> so what do
> i need to be able to authenticate and keep it
> anonymous?
>

> >> i want to make an anonymous proxy so my clients
> can surf
> >> anonymously, is
> >> a transparent proxy what i want?
> >
> > A proxy is what you want. It does not need to be
> transparent.
> >

> what do i need then? and do i have to set it up any
> differently
> to be anonymous? any howtos you can point out?
>
> thanks for the quick response
>
> nick
> > Regards
> > Henrik