Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxying identical directory structures

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:53:35 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Chris Perreault wrote:

> Scenario: An identical directory structure on 2 different servers. (iNotes
> for webmail) Running Squid/3.0PRE successfully reverse proxying for multiple
> back end webservers using the mysite.com/site1, mysite.com/site2 setup with
> cache_peers. All of site1's content is within the site1 folder of that
> server, site2's content is within the site2's folder off root of that
> webserver. All we've had to do is make sure each webserver has content in a
> uniquely named folder off of web's root.

This is a very wise structure.

> With the single iNotes server it was easy to set up multiple ACLs for each
> of the subdirectories on Notes. Having two servers with the same directory
> structure makes this impossible to use now.

You then need to mess around a little with redirectors etc, and pray the
iNotes server never returns absolute URLs back to the client which it
almost certainly will do at some point..

The problem with such design is that the web server is unaware about the
externally used URLs and thinks it's URL name space is the way it is
strucured on the server. This shows up in in generated URLs and redirect
messages and will send the client to what your web server thinks is the
correct URL, not the URL you have assigned in the reverse proxy to the
server.