Re: [squid-users] addresses with underscores

From: Irfan DP <irfan_dp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:02:18 +0700

Sorry to bring this problem back.

I have squid cache server running on freebsd-5.0-SMP WCCP and transparent support with version squid-2.5stable5 and squid-2.5stable7 .. and of-course --enable-underscores installed.

Lately our customers having problem accessing "_" hostname as in 'blogspot.com' domain. The browsers (IE and Firefox) error is:
====
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.pingu_art.blogspot.com/
The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.pingu_art.blogspot.com
The dnsserver returned:

DNS Domain 'www.pingu_art.blogspot.com' is invalid: Non recoverable errors.
====
Tailing the access.log resulting:
1103338562.018 14 202.53.253.20 TCP_MISS/503 1609 GET http://www.pingu_art.blogspot.com/ - NONE/- text/html

I tried to use Lynx on my cache server and having problems resolving that domain and unable to load any data from it.

BUT, when I tried to dig and nslookup command, it resolved beautifully:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.pingu_art.blogspot.com. 3d23h40m58s IN CNAME blogspot.blogger.com.
blogspot.blogger.com. 40m59s IN A 66.102.15.101

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
blogger.com. 1h52m9s IN NS ns1.google.com.
blogger.com. 1h52m9s IN NS ns2.google.com.
blogger.com. 1h52m9s IN NS ns3.google.com.
blogger.com. 1h52m9s IN NS ns4.google.com.

**The DNS server is in other server using BIND 9.X.X

And I have I cache server (Cache Flow VA Linux cache engine) that resolve this domain properly and load the particular sites with no error with the same DNS settings.

Notes:
- I haven't try to clear the cache files that have been running for approx. 7 months.
- I tried 'always direct on domain_regex _ that suggested on previous email, still didn't work

Question:
- DNS resolving problem on HTTP WCCP redirect packets ? or Squid WCCP problems ? or anything else ?
- Any hints on this problems ?

Thank you.

irfan_dp
(sorry with my poor english)