Re: [squid-users] reasonable differences

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:58:31 -0600

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 squid@oranged.to wrote:
>
>> I am building/rebuilding some new cache servers. I have some questions
>> would it be better to use the intel compiler that is getting alot of
>> press
>> or stick with gcc etc on a Linux server?
>

> Squid is usually not CPU bound..
>
>> Would there be any performance improvement in a squid configuration ?
>

> If your system is CPU bound then using a better compiler may help..

But not by much. I tried out the Intel compiler a couple of years ago,
with barely measurable (statistically insignificant) results. And while
I'm sure the Intel compiler has improved in those two years, GCC
probably has also. And given that the difference between a build with
no optimization and a build with high optimization is also quite small,
I don't foresee any compiler improvement being capable of significantly
altering Squid's performance.