Re: [squid-users] best squid.conf ???

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:04:39 +0100

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 17:58 +0200, squidm wrote:
> I have 48 locations with radio connection at 256 kbps an 1 HQ with 3 mbps on
> radio connections.
> 1 FO at 6 mbs internet connection

In the branches any (recent or semi-recent) PC running Linux or some
other Free or Open Source OS will do.
I believe that the best solution would be to have two (maybe three for
redundancy) medium-sized parent caches in the head office, configured as
CARP-balanced parents with in each branch.

To engage the branch-level proxies you can either use a proxy
autoconfiguration script which decides the proxy to use by looking at
the client IP address (I recommend you do this), or you can use
transparent proxying. Other solutions are pretty hard to maintain with
that many users.

        Kinkie