[squid-users] Slow cache

From: Paul Clayton <Paul.Clayton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:36:00 +0200

We have squid Version 2.5.STABLE7 installed, Redhat Fedora Core 1. 1Gb Ram Pentium Xeon 3.06Ghz

Our cache size is 7.5Gb for 120 users. Average daily downloads vary between 2Gb-6Gb. During some testing, we noticed that http downloads were significantly slower than bypassing the cache and going direct.

Typical readings were 19Kbytes per second through the cache versus 250Kbytes per second going direct.
Playing with the memory did make impact, but the optimum we can attain is having a cache memory of 256Mb and 16Mb memory pools. ALthough messing with the memory pools, did not make much difference.

Any ideas why the speed differences.
Regards
I'm not a complete idiot, I'm missing a few parts.
 Paul Clayton
Global Unix Co-ordinator
Intec Telecom Systems
Ph +27 (0) 21 6588000