Re: [squid-users] reply_body_size dependent download speed?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:47:35 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Raimund Eimann wrote:

> I'm running squid 2.5 for a small network with 5 users. On of my users has a
> habit of sometimes downloading 20 Files of 5MB each. This results in a
> considerable slow down of the connection speed for the other users.
>
> I first restricted the reply_body_size to less than 5MB, but that does not
> allow him any of his downloads - and he complained...

Understandable..

> In a second try I defined a type 2 delay class and restricted his speed. This
> situation is largely acceptable now.
>
> I think the best solution would be to grant him full speed downloads for
> reply_body_sizes <= 100kB and speed-limit everything that's more. Is that
> possible with squid?

No, but you can define a delay pool which only kicks in once he is startig
to use a significant amount of bandwidth. This is what the bucket size
parameter in the delay pools are used for.

It is quite simple math. Every second the refill rate is added to the
pool, and each byte received from the network for the user is substracted
from the pool. If the pool is empty no more data is read from the network
for this user.

Or in other words refill rate sets the average bandwidth the user is
allowed to use and the pool size gives some slack to temporarily allow
for higher usage allowing for full speed access unless downloading or
otherwise heavy bandwidth usage.

If the pool size is equal to the refill rate then no slack is given to the
user.