Re: [squid-users] client ip and port or username

From: Kinkie <kinkie-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:37:21 +0100

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 15:22, Rainer Anschober wrote:
> We use squid in out company for connectin internet and our intranet.
> Now, our Problem is, that our intranet server need the username and/or
> ip and port address of the client, who is connecting over squid to the
> server.

The client address can be obtained from the X-Forwarded-For HTTP header,
the port is not passed along.

By "the username" do you mean "the login name of the user logged on the
client system", "the login name that the user typed when she
authenticated to squid" or "the login name that the user typed when she
authenticated to the webserver"?

In the first case, noone (except the operating system running on the
client) can know this.
In the second case, no it's not passed along.
In the third case, squid doesn't meddle with user authentication unless
it's NTLM (in which case the client will refuse to authenticate to the
server - it's been reported that with some proxies it doesn't but the
mechanics are still unknown).

I hope this helps.

        Kinkie