Re: [squid-users] Slow cache

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 04:10:55 +0100

On 28.12 16:36, Paul Clayton wrote:
> We have squid Version 2.5.STABLE7 installed, Redhat Fedora Core 1. 1Gb
> Ram Pentium Xeon 3.06Ghz
>
> Our cache size is 7.5Gb for 120 users. Average daily downloads vary
> between 2Gb-6Gb. During some testing, we noticed that http downloads
> were significantly slower than bypassing the cache and going direct.
>
> Typical readings were 19Kbytes per second through the cache versus
> 250Kbytes per second going direct. Playing with the memory did make
> impact, but the optimum we can attain is having a cache memory of 256Mb
> and 16Mb memory pools. ALthough messing with the memory pools, did not
> make much difference.

I would say this problem is outta squid. It may be wrong network setup
(half duplex vs full duplex), not using DMA on disk (is it IDE disk?)
and probably not ideal filesystem.

I'd recomend using bigger disk cache - for accomodating week's traffic you
should have 30GB cache imho. Tuning up filesystem may help too, using xfs
or reisersfs (with notail option) on cache disk and probably use dedicated
cache drive.

I don't think you should play with memory pools. There are other places to
play with.

"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]