RE: [squid-users] Squid in 64-bit

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:19:19 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Jon wrote:

> Thanks for the reply; it raised another question in my mind. You mentioned
> the benefits of 64-bits is limited, can you elaborate on that? What are the
> benefits of going 64-bit? Will the caching be faster?

As I said the benefits for Squid is quite limited. The main benefit is
that it allows for larger processes above 2GB in size (practically
unlimited). This may help some large scale Squid users.

I do not see how going 64-bit would give any speed benefit to Squid,
rather the opposite (but only marginally).