Re: [squid-users] Re: Problem Blocking msn messenger

From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 11:37:53 +0800

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 05:52, Adam Aube wrote:
> Please don't post a new issue by responding to another post - it breaks
> threading and makes the archives harder to follow. Instead, post a new
> message to the list.
>
> Carlos SimbaƱa wrote:
>
> > 1. I am trying to block msn messenger, but when I include
> > logginnet.passport.com in the squidGuard blacklist block the msn but
> > hotmail too.
>
> Since both use Passport for authentication, this isn't suprising.
>
> > 2. If I build a white list with hotmail.msn.com, the web page not appears.
>
> Because you're still blocking Passport.
>
> > 3. After that, I remove logginnet.passport.com from black list
> > (squidGuard) and put in my squid.conf
>
> > acl msnmessenger url_regex -i gateway.dll
> > http_access deny msnmessenger
> > acl msn req_mime_type -i ^application/x-msn-messenger
> > http_access deny all msn
> > http_access allow all
> >
> > Then works hotmail But NOT block msn messenger :-(
>
> Kudos to you for trying the archives before posting.
>
> Could you post all your acl and http_access lines, and detail what station
> IP address you are testing from? It might be a misconfiguration elsewhere.

I don't see why you have to use squid to do such things.

Squid is a proxy. It does not proxy MSN messengers
Even if you go transparent, reports are that it does not work. One has
to specifically say you want MSN proxied and you have to list ACLs in
squid. (SSL_safeports)

I'm sure there's a firewall someone in that network. Block the MSN
ports. Isn't it enough. (I know this is a stupid statement, but... lack
of a better statement and an understandin of the poster's network
infrastructure)

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz